Friday, March 25, 2011

A Father Gives Good Gifts




For my quiet time, I am going through The One Year Book of Hope by Nancy Guthrie.
This was a devotional I really wanted to go through as I work to move past the heartbreaks in my life.
I have spent years begging and pleading to God about my kids. I have cried out to him to bring Luke back to me. I have yelled at God for Luke not being with me instead of Jon, as I am obviously the better parent. I have cursed God for his unwillingness to answer my prayers. I have prayed, and prayed and prayed. Relentlessly!!!
Today in my quiet time I read this:
"I recognize that as much as I might want God to give me what I ask for, I trust that my heavenly Father know what is best. Sometimes his "good gifts" don't appear that way to my limited perspective. He gives me broccoli when I want ice cream. Sometimes he uses frustrating circumstances, unwarranted criticism, or disappointing delays to develop in me the good gifts of patience and humility. He calls me to trust him, to know that he is my wise and loving Father, and my ultimate good is his heart's greatest desire.
Would you be willing to stop pounding on heaven's door, to stop begging for God to give you what you believe is best,and to open your hands to receive the good gifts your heavenly Father wants to give to you?"
WHOA!!
Am I willing to STOP POUNDING, TO STOP BEGGING FOR GOD TO GIVE ME WHAT I WANT??? Is he giving me broccoli when I am asking for ice cream?
Yes!
Yes Lord. I will stop begging. I will stop pounding...and rest on the promises that YOU HAVE GOOD GIFTS to give to me. I am ready to receive them!

No comments: